Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hump Day Health Tips


Hello, my name is Michaele and I am a junk food addict.
My last drive-through was on November 26, 2012.
I have been clean for 9 days.

 

From the book Food Rules by Michael Pollan author of the Omnivore’s Dilemma

Rule #24
“Eating what stands on one leg [mushrooms and plant foods] is better than eating what stands on two legs [fowl], which is better than eating what stand on four legs [cows, pigs and other mammals]”.

Rule #19
If it came from a plant eat it; if it was made in a plant, don’t.

Rule #27
Eat animals that have themselves eaten well.
 
Rule #44
Pay more, eat less.
 
Rule # 62
Plant a vegetable garden if you have the space, a window box if you don't.
 
Rule #60
Treat treats as treats.
"Special occasion foods offer some of the great pleasures of life, so we shouldn't deprive ourselves of them, but the sense of occasion needs to be resored. One way is to start making these foods yourself; if you bake desert yourself you won't go to that much trouble every day.  Another is to limit your consumption of such foods to weekends or special occasions.  Some people follow a so-called S policy; "no snacks, no seconds and no sweets - except on days that begin with the letter S.""
 
.

15 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

There is no better advise...

Sandra said...

hellow, my name is Sandra and I am a bread junky. i am now busy trying to decide if i have to MAKE/BAKE my own bread... NOT

Ashling said...

Hello Michaele! Good for you!!!

TexWisGirl said...

pretty interesting viewpoints.

peggy said...

Very clever, interesting and true. I like, wish I could abide.

Candy C. said...

I like #27 & #60!!
I'm so glad I kicked the drive-through/fast-food habit several years ago.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I confess that I do like french fries. A lot. ;-)

Chatty Crone said...

Treat a treat like a treat - what a great idea. sandie

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

I agree with it all, but ain't no way I'm giving up meat:@)

Gail said...

I could not see the suggestions since I was laughing so hard at your confession.

Not to make light of it...I'm proud of you.

Buttons said...

I am also a junk-aholic also I just ate ice cream that I am positive had no real ice or real cream just chemicals. What is the matter with me?
Very good advice and As soon as I finish this bowl I will be following it. Wish me luck. B

Deb said...

You go girl

Jennifer said...

Good points...

Randy said...

Good lessons. I am trying real hard to stay away from junk food the key word is "trying."

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Your last 'drive through and clean status" made me smile. Living so far from town as I do, makes it easier not to go out and eat. Love the rules you posted!