Monday, March 5, 2012

More Chores

We went to the bi-annual bird and animal auction yesterday.
We look forward to this like some folks look forward to a vacation.
We have bought and sold here for 4 years now.
Many times you will find us buying in the spring and selling in the fall.


There's a little bit of everything at this sale.
They start with the hoof stock which is a blast to watch.
Had we been there 15 min earlier, I am sure I would have
bid whatever it took 
for a little black and white spotted bottle-lamb.  
Blame it on me 
for making Rylee clean up her mess in the bathroom
before we could leave the house.
Dang.


If we lived at the farm full time,
I'm sure I would have bid on a young pot-bellied pigs also.
They were going for under $20 each.
(this is the mamma)


I wish he was pointing at me
for bidding on this,


but I just sat on my hands.


I love Sebastapol geese.
I may have bid on them,


but instead (and it happens every year)
the girls drug me to the bird and pocket-pet building.
 I get stuck there every year with one pleading child
on each side of me.

I even got them a number this year so they
could do their own bidding.
But they said they were "scared to". 

We have hauled home birds, ferrets, hedgehogs, hamsters
and a variety of cages from this building.
We have eventually brought the same back
be it 6 months or two years later.
This year we got something we have never had before.
But I will save that for another post.



Finally, I got to go back to the farm animals.
I made the mistake of waving to Rylee to show her
where I was in the stands.
She didn't see me but the auctioneer did
and I had bid on a cage of black roosters.
Thankfully I was outbid.


I was very conservative this year
and proud of myself for it.
I got one gander
and I have named him Moab.
He was very glad to get out of this small cage.


And I got one Royal Palm turkey
and his name is, 
(what else but)
 Tom.


I think I see a smile on two faces here.



.

22 comments:

Alla said...

That does sound like fun. We have an auction every week here, but just for the basics. Yours would be so fun but I'm sure I'd buy to many cute things. LOL.

TexWisGirl said...

Too cute. Can't wait to see what else you landed.

Ashling said...

What a teaser--"something we never got before" and we have to wait for another post! Moab is quite handsome, and your day sounds like fun!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I would love to go to that! LOL on you accidentally bidding on the roosters :-)

Sheeps and Peeps Farm said...

That really looks like fun... afraid we would also have to be sitting on our hands... a lot.
Can't wait to see what else you came home with

dr momi said...

That's a great last picture!! Glad you weren't the top bidder for a penful of black roosters LOL! ...and I can't wait to see what else you got!

Jocelyn said...

Is that a Toulouse goose? Ha! Couldn't help that. Really, though, is that a Tolouse? He looks like it. Good looking guy. Sebastopols always call me too, but then I remember I have too many geese already.

A livestock auction (if I could ever find one) would be a very bad place for me to be. Very, very bad. Seriously, we'd have no money left. None. I am really looking forward to seeing what your surprise is!

Candy C. said...

What a nice looking gander and smiling Tom too! I can't wait for "the rest of the story"!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

You didn't name the turkey "Dinner"??? Sounds like you had a nice day:@)

Annette said...

What fun! And you exercised so much restraint -- I'm impresed! Did you buy a pocket pony in the pocket animal and bird building? That gander is beautiful. Can't wait to meet the new critter -

Jill said...

It's love! I can't wait to see what else you got!!

Niece said...

Do you guys go out to the farm everyday to check on the animals?

Charlotte said...

It looked like fun and a lot of will power to not over buy. I'll wait to see what you bought that you never have before.

Deb said...

I love this post! Laughed out loud at the bid on the black roosters--yikes! Can't wait to hear about your mystery acquisition!

DebH said...

that would of been me on the roosters but I would of ended up with them! I would so be in trouble going to many of those sales..I'm afraid some little mini donkeys are going to find a spot here someday. I need a couple more hen turkeys too, and next time I go, thats what I can purchase. Maybe that will satisfy me..HA! Hurry and let us know what you got?? I'm going to guess a peacock. I bid on some baby doll lambs when I went, but now glad I didn't do that. I better wait on that Angora goat. Now hurry and tell!!

Randy said...

The geese are wonderful and so is that last photo. Still laughing about your wave. Good thing you were outbid.

Chai Chai said...

I so want to raise a few royal Palm turkeys, they are magnificent to see!

Liesl said...

What fun! Love the gander and the tom!

Donna said...

That would be a fun auction to attend!

Chatty Crone said...

A Chinchilla! sandie

Rain said...

Well all I can say is--it's a good thing there isn't one of these auctions near me!! cuddles to you!!
~~Rain

Jennifer said...

So cool! Looks like so much fun. I wanna go to one of these but ooo man I couldnt bring any money cause I'd come home with all kinds of animals & my husband would pass out, lol. You did good ;)