Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cheap and Easy Chicken Tractor (first half)


Are you in need of a quick, cheap, easy, lightweight chicken tractor?
Do you know how easy it is to buy, haul and work with PVC pipe?


Just measure, cut and glue.




It's sturdy, light and doesn't need paint.
No drilling, screws or cutting angles.


The housing part of this is being fashioned from an old
stereo cabinet that was left in the shop when we bought the place.
It already has wheels, just needed sealed, primed and painted.
We are adding boards to make a slant roof
and then we will attach it to the run.
(more on this later)

In the meantime, the bantams and guineas
are already enjoying the grass.
We have it staked down and temporarily covered for shade.
We move it every day and they really do mow their little spot.



We learned something new and if this works out as well 
as I think it will, next summer we will make a bigger one,
possibly more of a dome type, 
for standard size chickens.

.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Wow! This is great. I never would have thought of that. You have me looking at PVC pipes in a whole new light. Super job!

Donna said...

I'll be watching this. I really want a chicken tractor.

texwisgirl said...

that's great. lightweight is good - as long as you can tie it down in place. :)

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Sounds like a good idea, gotta keep the girls happy:@)

Maura @ Lilac Lane Cottage said...

Hi Michaele!
What a great idea...this would be a great way for us to let our chicks out on the grass and not have to worry about Chelsea our little Shih Tzu getting any of them. I'm going to show this to hubby when he get's up today (works nights). Thanks for the idea! Have a wonderful Thursday...
Maura :)

Sharon said...

Love your new chicken tractor. The first time I heard someone talking about one, I thought "What the heck is that?"

Chatty Crone said...

Now that is something I can use - thanks for sharing how easy it is!

Angela said...

Cool! And they also get to eat the different bugs in your yard too!

Have a Great Day!
Angela

Leontien said...

I don't know why they call it a tractor... I get a different image in my head thinking of a tractor but IT LOOKS GREAT!

Leontien

Buttons said...

You are a genius. B

Jennifer said...

Love it! I've been wantin to make one all summer! Acouple of em would be great to have here. Great job once again girls.