Monday, May 16, 2011

Wheatgrass Juice

A few weeks ago I posted on How to Plant and Grow Wheatgrass
and I promised a follow-up post on making wheatgrass juice. 
Thank you for your patience with me on getting the
photos together for this post.

                                       First - gather your supplies:

Juicer,

wheatgrass previously grown


and cut and bagged. 
 Or you can cut just what you need
and leave the rest to grow for a day or two.

Cut the grass when it is 6-8 inches tall (a little taller won't hurt).
Wheatgrass can be stored in the refrigerator for one week.


Assemble the juicer and place containers 
to catch juice.  With my juicer, a little juice comes out 
the end also.


Turn the handle, which manually feeds the grass
and "presses" the juice from the grass.  This doesn't take
a lot of time or muscle, but it is manual.


What goes through my mind as I look at the grass juice
is "liquid powerhouse".  That is just how good it is for you.


We usually have about one ounce each in our 
shot glasses.  Mine has less, but I did get a 
good glop of foam this time. 


The girls have to be dramatic about it 
every time.  Rikki said she was "afraid".


Bottoms-up.


What's with that face?


The chickens get the remains of the grass.


And the remains after we did the cutting.


Meanwhile, another tray has begun and will
be ready in a few more days.



  


A few of you commented with questions on just eating the grass vs. juicing the grass. Although you certainly could eat the grass, we as humans are not able to digest the grass and get the nutritional benefits of it. That's why we need to juice it.

There was also a comment or two on the price of the juicers. As I mentioned, I purchased mine new for around $100 years ago, but the same type of juicer is always for sale on ebay for around $25. The price of the grass seeds is very minimal.

There are many benefits of wheatgrass juice but the list below pretty well sums up why I, personally, grow and juice wheatgrass.

Red blood cells. The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is molecularly similar to hemoglobin, a key component of red blood cells. For this reason, wheatgrass juice can help rebuild red blood cells, while also cleansing the blood of toxins. Studies show that a daily wheatgrass supplement helps patients reduce high blood pressure by dilating the body’s blood vessels.

Alkalizing properties. Over time, the body can build up toxicity, what with our current fixation with fast, convenient, cheap food that has less and less nutritional value. Besides increased toxins, the modern diet contributes to increasing levels of acidity in the body. Wheatgrass helps to restore our natural pH balance by acting as an alkalizing agent.

Immune booster. Because wheatgrass is so mineral-rich, it is a powerful illness fighter. It is a great source of beta-carotene, B vitamins, and essential amino acids. These help break down fats and promote dozens of essential biological functions. Wheatgrass can also be used topically to help heal cuts, scrapes, and bruises.


Remember to juice responsibly.





5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I never thought about ebay - $25!!! Hope I find one. Do you have this everyday?

Michaele said...

Chatty - like anything else I do, it comes and goes in spurts. The worse I feel my diet is, the more I juice. I am more consistent in the winter months after the garden produce is gone.

Jennifer said...

Very nice post. Love the pic of the girls faces after drinkin it,lol

Farmer's Wyfe said...

I had to laugh at the girls' faces...I remember the smell of that stuff just seeing it!! My mom did the wheat grass when she was going through her cancer. I know it is AMAZING stuff, and, funny though it may seem, I actually would love to do some myself...a goal for my future! It is well worth the gag! :)

prolix said...

This looks so good! I'm going to try it.
I actually enjoyed reading through this posting. Many thanks.

Juicers